Mark Goudswaard PhD
Mark is a Research Associate on Proto-twinning. As part of this project his interest lies in how digital capture of prototypes can be combined with design rationale and reasoning in order to improve the product development process.
His doctoral research centred on the democratisation of design for additive manufacture – investigating how the practice of design can be made more accessible to enable more people to reap the benefits afforded by additive manufacture.
He completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Bristol, where he gained a master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- DIMENSIONS OF KNOWLEDGE IN PROTOTYPING: A REVIEW AND CHARACTERISATION OF PROTOTYPING METHODS AND THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS TO DESIGN KNOWLEDGE
- The creation of a neural network based capability profile to enable generative design and the manufacture of functional FDM parts
- Towards integrated version control of virtual and physical artefacts in new product development: inspirations from software engineering and the digital twin paradigm
- An appraisal and classification of the transdisciplinarity of existing design tools
- Towards the democratisation of design: a generalised capability model for FDM
- Research internship investigating BCI applications in engineering design - Written by Louise Larsson Summary of project and intended outcomes In my individual research project this term I investigated potential alternative user interfaces for computer-aided design, CAD, software and brain-computer interfaces in particular. That is looking into the prospects of making designing more intuitive and accessible by introducing brain control… Read More
- PCA Toolkit V2 - Version 2 of the PCA toolkit is shown in the picture below. It contains a number of updates with new products and initiatives designed to contribute towards a safe transition out of lockdown. For more information about each entry please see below the picture. A PDF version of the toolkit… Read More
- Mask Design @ La Universidad de Los Andes - From August to December 2020 the PCA team were working in collaboration with la Universidad de Los Andes in supporting students who were developing innovative, improved mask designs for minimising viral spread on public transport as part of their Proyecto Intermedio. The project spanned 16 weeks broken down into 4x4… Read More
- Vaccine Distribution Solutions in collaboration with La Universidad de Los Andes - The Project Clean Access team are working in collaboration with La Universidad de Los Andes in Bogota to develop innovative cold-storage distribution solutions that could assist in delivering vaccines to the most remote areas of Colombia. The challenges in achieving this are significant due to Colombia's diverse landscapes (including rainforest,… Read More
- PCA Toolkit V1 - Version 1 of the PCA toolkit is shown in the picture below. It contains a first set of products and initiatives designed to contribute towards a safe transition out of lockdown. For more information about each entry please see below the picture. A PDF version of the toolkit can be… Read More
- PCA Interaction Design @ La Tadeo – Challenge 3 - The Product Design department at the Universidad Jorge Tadeo Lozano have been running PCA linked challenges as part of their Interaction Design course 'Mediations'. For the third challenge students were required to design devices that could eliminate the risk of viral spread through cash transactions. Two of the resulting outputs are shown in the… Read More
- PCA Interaction Design @ La Tadeo – Challenge 2 - The Product Design department at the Universidad Jorge Tadeo Lozano have been running PCA linked challenges as part of their Interaction Design course 'Mediations'. For the second challenge students were required to design games that could help educate or combat misinformation about the virus' spread and causes. The resulting outputs (as shown in the… Read More
- The Workshop App goes live for alpha testing - The Workshop is a job scheduling tool for coordinating manufacturing in areas such as university workshops. It's a collaborative initiative between the DMF lab's project clean access, and industry partner CFMS. It has been developed to enable the continued functioning of University manufacturing centres by assisting the transition to more… Read More
- PCA Interaction Design @ La Tadeo - The Product Design department at the Universidad Jorge Tadeo Lozano have been running PCA linked challenges as part of their Interaction Design course 'Mediations'. For the first challenge, students were asked to develop kits to help people move safely in and out of their homes. The proposed designs are shown in the pictures below… Read More
- Clean Access Challenge 5: Contact Free Cash - Problem Money, in the form of both notes and coins, provides contact surfaces that can be shared by many people in a short space of time. Whilst transmission via cash hasn't been delineated, some banks around the world are taking steps to disinfect cash to ensure that it's coronavirus free… Read More