The T-Pen design features a dongle with a “T” shaped head that allows the user to apply force in 3 axes to an adapter. The concept is for each person to have a T-Pen that is capable of working in adapters placed around a workplace, home, shop etc.. This would allow people to open doors and operate mechanisms without touching a surface someone else may have come into contact with – breaking the COVID-19 transmission path. A lid is also provided to allow the pen to be covered when not in use.
- Sealed contact interface prevents transmission (+)
- Suitable for heavy doors (+)
- Once engaged, apply force/torque in any direction (+)
- Larger parts/longer print time (-)
- Requires both key and lock components (-)
T-Pen: Print time ~1.5 hours; material cost ~£0.40; mass 23 grams.
T-Pen Lid: Print time ~0.25 hours; material cost ~£0.05; mass 3 grams.
Adapter: Print time ~ 0.75 hours; material cost ~£0.18; mass 11 grams.
Opportunities for improvement: Optimised for 3D printing; material reduction; ergonomic design; personalisation e.g. name/initials.