The DMF lab welcomed The Product Partnership and representatives from the four founding companies: Amalgam (https://www.amalgam-models.co.uk/); Cubik Innovation (https://www.cubik-innovation.co.uk/); Realise Design (https://www.realisedesign.co.uk/) and Newicon (https://newicon.net/) to an evening technology showcase and demo. The evening included state-of-the-art tech demonstrations followed by the obligatory beer and burgers. The research/tech demos included:
- Exploring the neurocognitive differences between digital and physical workflows to maximise creativity.
- Measuring haptics in dexterous fabrication processes to enable total automation.
- City Blocks – a mixed reality platform for crowd designing shared spaces/worlds.
- Low-cost multi-reality product prototyping for small-to-medium companies.
- Pro2Booth – Product Data Management for physical prototypes.
- Brokering Additive Manufacturing to realise regional/sovereign capabilities.
- Emulating the real world mass properties of ‘as-designed’ CAD products during 3D printing – closing the gap for user-centred design.
- Recycling PPE face masks for 3D printing and injection moulding processes.
- Next generation machines design using computational/generative techniques – machines that make machines!
- Low-fidelity Digital Twins for commercially viable process monitoring of manufacturing processes.
- Mixed reality workspaces for machine and mechanism design.
- Capability demonstration of our 5-axis Aerosol Jetting printer capable of printing conductive materials at 10 microns onto freeform surfaces.
Over the last five years, members of The Product Partnership have supported several fundamental and applied research projects led by the DMF lab. So, we were super excited to be able to present all of the various tools, methods and technologies which they have helped to shape/influence. The evening was exciting and informative for everyone, and a number of collaborative opportunities will be taken forward by the DMF team and members of The Product Partnership …. watch this space!